Monday, June 8, 2009

We start with Globalization.


It has often been said, "To solve a problem, get to the root of it." In this blog, my Social Studies 10-1 assignment, I will be considering the question, "To what extent should I, as a citizen, respond to globalization?" Before I can answer that question, I believe we should start at the beginning, by defining globalization.


Globalization is a special word, special because it can have a different meaning depending on who you talk to. In my text book, globalization is a noun meaning the act of becoming or making [something] global. Google the word "globalization" and any internet user would be swamped with citations and websites. One such website defines globalization this way: the increasing integration of economies and societies around the world, transcending the boundaries of the nation state, particularly through international trade and the flow of capital, ideas and people, the transfer of culture and technology, and the development of transnational regulations.



Globalization isn't just about making something global, it also includes the effects making something global has on the environment, economies around the world, and people. Though perhaps unknown to some, globalization touches people's lives all around the globe. As a citizen, not only of Canada, but as an occupant here on Earth, I have the duty to decide how, and to what extent, I'm going to respond to globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment